Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding dumping of solid waste, plastic bags, polyester clothes waste and other non-biodegradable material in Sidhwan Canal, Ludhiana, Punjab, 21/07/2023
Order of the National Green Tribunal in the matter of Kuldeep Singh Khaira & Others Vs State of Punjab & Others dated 21/07/2023.
Grievance in the application is dumping of solid waste, plastic bags, polyester clothes waste and other non-biodegradable material in Sidhwan Canal and a report was called from a joint Committee in which it was found that there was throwing of waste material into the canal.
Municipal Corporation, Ludhiana in its report and reply has submitted and the result of records of Municipal Corporation, Ludhiana regarding cleaning of the canal. The report said that approximately 90 per cent of garbage are cleaned and the rest of 10 per cent shall be cleaned and disposed of according to rules within next three months.
It is further submitted that the Municipal Corporation, Ludhiana is asking to remove all its secondary dump sites and install compactors at its transfer stations. Land has been identified for this purpose and allotment of the vacant land is in process. Municipal Corporation, Ludhiana is also in the process of setting up waste processing plant and prepared DPR/TFR for processing of wet waste via Bio-methanization/Bio-CNG plant having capacity of 200 TPD.
The NGT directed the Municipal Corporation, Ludhiana to dispose of rest of the solid waste at the dump site within a timeframe of three months and submit a further action taken report before the next date of hearing, November 2, 2023.