kandla mishap: 15 labourers were killed on June 29, 2006, at the Kandla port in Gujarat, when a Cyprus flag ship M V Pontonostos collided with the Anchor Handling Barge. The accident occurred in the navigational channel, where the ship hit the barge, which had 25 labourers on it. The barge belonged to Jaishu Shipping Pvt Ltd owned by Pritambhai Kevalramani. He has filed a complaint in the Kandla police station and also petitioned the Gujarat High Court seeking compensation for damages and for the dead workers. Meanwhile, authorities have detained the ship.
transport policy: The European Union (EU) recently came out with a review paper on its transport policy. The review, says EU, needs to reduce transport congestion, energy use and emissions, and its dependency on roads by shifting to rail. Transport accounts for 30 per cent of the total energy consumption and 71 per cent of total oil consumption in the EU. Road accounts for 60 per cent of total oil consumption. The review puts emphasis on intelligent transport systems, where ships, trucks, cars and trains will have the same sophisticated communication and navigation tools as aircraft.
lady docks: The Gujarat Pollution Control Board will soon make a detailed inspection of the Norwegian liner, Blue Lady, to check whether it is carrying any toxic material. The liner entered Indian waters on June 30, 2006, and at present docks at Pipavav port anchorage in Gujarat as it awaits clearance. The ship is to be dismantled at the world's largest ship-breaking yard in Alang, Gujarat. Environmental groups say the ship contains 900 tonnes of asbestos and other toxic materials. On June 5, 2006, the Supreme Court had given the ship permission to enter Indian waters but only on the condition that it is declared safe by experts.
- Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS): quarterly bulletin (July – September 2023)
- Economic report on Africa 2023: building Africa’s resilience to global economic shocks
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding illegal mining of morrum for the construction of railway track from Bhadrak to Nergundi, Cuttack district, Odisha, 23/11/2023
- A framework for climate change mitigation in India
- Periodic Labour Force Survey (PLFS) – annual report (July, 2022 – June, 2023)
- Sustainable finance: bridging the gap in Asia and the Pacific