Air and mobility facts
Action on vehicles
• The city has introduced Bharat Stage IV norms for vehicles in 2010
• Two-stroke autorickshaws banned
• Selling of pre-mixed 2-T oil made mandatory within Kolkata Metropolitan Area since November 2001.
• Introduced 50 ppm sulphur fuels
• Up gradation of PUC emission testing centers
• Unleaded petrol introduced since February,.2000.
• Benzene content in petrol reduced to 3 percent from 2001 subsequently to one percent
• Only LPG driven three wheelers are registered in Kolkata since June 2003.
• Petrol blended with 5 percent ethanol mandatory since January 2003.
Action on industry
• Stricter location policy for new industrial units and restriction on setting up of polluting industries in municipal area of Kolkata Metropolitan Area (KMA)
• Efforts to ensure regulatory compliance for grossly polluting industries
• Introduction of stricter emission standards for boilers, ceramic kilns, foundries and rolling mill of KMA with effect in May 11, 2001
• Mandatory use of clean fuels
• Financial assistance for installation of pollution control devices in small-scale industries etc.
• Regularly complying industries are felicitated with Environmental excellence awards.
• M/s Coal India Ltd. , M/s Eastern Coalfield Ltd., M/s Bharat Coking Coal Ltd. have been requested not to supply coal to the industries which have been ordered to discontinue the use of coal.
• About 67 percent of the coal fired boilers and about 73 percent of the coal fired ceramic kilns have already been converted to oil fired ones.Source: MOSRTH and Air Quality Trends and Action Plan for Control of Air Pollution from Seventeen Cities, CPCB, 2006
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding an unauthorized dumpsite in
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding stone mining in the eco-sensitive zone of Mahananda Wildlife Sanctuary, Darjeeling district, West Bengal, 20/09/2023
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding construction of high-rise buildings without permission on the on the river-bed of Subarnarekha, 20/09/2023
- Dumping of silt from irrigation canals in Kolkata: NGT seeks reply from the Irrigation and Waterways Department, West Bengal, 08/09/2023
- Order of the National Green Tribunal regarding pollution of river through discharge of untreated sewage from the hotels/eateries at Howrah Railway Station, West Bengal, 06/09/2023
- Judgment of the National Green Tribunal regarding dredging/de-silting/removal of the river bed materials from the Subarnarekha river at Sankrail, Howrah, West Bengal, 04/09/2023