Japan sets GHG emissions target at 15 percent below 2005 levels by 2020

Ending months of talks with industry and consumers, Prime Minister Taro Aso announced on June 10th that Japan will strive to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions 15 percent from 2005 levels by 2020. The mid-term target represents an 8 percent cut in emissions from levels in 1990, the benchmark year used in the Kyoto Protocol. Under the Kyoto Protocol, Japan is committed to trimming its greenhouse gas emissions 6 percent by 2012, compared with 1990 levels. Its total emissions are currently about 14 percent above that target.

Related Content